- Acts for Lloyd's syndicates, composite insurers, insureds and loss adjusters providing policy advice and interpretation on insurance and reinsurance disputes.
- Experienced in defence and prosecution of claims involving accountants, solicitors, brokers, surveyors, valuers and construction professionals as well as related policy coverage disputes.
- Advises on environmental liability issues including advice on policy wording, handling the defence of pollution and contamination claims, defending environmental professionals and advising on environmental regulatory and compliance issues.
- Extensive experience advising underwriters on a wide range of product liability disputes and acts for insureds and their insurers in product recall and product liability claims involving property damage, business interruption and personal injury and regularly presents to insurers, brokers, loss adjusters and corporate insureds on product liability coverage issues.
- Handles the defence of adjudication referrals of claims against construction professionals, including project managers and structural engineers.
- Involved in a number of recovery actions between insurers arising from damage sustained to boilers including US$100m action in New York between two groups of insurers arising from a boiler explosion in Jamaica.
- Representing cedant in substantial multi-jurisdictional reinsurance dispute following an explosion in a Swedish steel plant.
- Advised on a £9m action in the Commercial Court in Lyon involving the reinsurance recovery of losses sustained by an insurer client in France and the duties of agents and brokers.
- Advised London market underwriters in connection with the World Trade Centre disaster.
Significant reported cases
- Aegis Electrical & Gas International Services Co Ltd v Continental Casualty Co (2007). Represented reinsurers in a dispute arising from an explosion at an oil refinery in Aruba involving the interpretation of a "follow the settlements" clause
- Gujarat Adani Port Ltd v New India Assurance (2007). Representing business interruption insurer at arbitration arising from earthquake related losses at an Indian port.
- South Australia Asset Management Corporation v Laurence Begner & Ors (1998). Successful resolution of a £5M claim arising from valuations provided for the acquisition of Wembley Conference Centre and Exhibition Hall.
- Sir David Berriman & Ors v Rose Thomson Young (Underwriting) Ltd & Ors (1996). A multi-billion pound claim by Lloyd's names against their managing and members agents which concerned concurrent duties in tort and contract.
- Lloyd's syndicates
- Loss adjusters
- Construction professionals
- Regular contributor to client newsletters.
- Regular commentator in the insurance press particularly on environmental liability and coverage issues.