- Construction and commercial litigation and arbitration.
- Advising principals and claimants in respect of the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 1999 (NSW).
- Advising contractors, developers, architects, engineers and other building professionals in relation to major projects including infrastructure projects and large scale residential developments.
- Advising building professionals including architects and engineers in relation to various project related and commercial matters.
- Preparing project contract documentation for various participants in a range of projects including major educational facilities, large refurbishments, tenancy fit-outs, commercial premises, warehouses, factories, large and medium scale residential developments and aged care facilities.
- Advising insurers and insureds in relation to a range of insurance related issues including:
- Professional indemnity disputes involving architects, engineers, building certifiers, planners and surveyors
- Large and small scale project insurance
- Home Owners’ Warranty insurance.
- Working with educational institutions addressing various matters arising from their operations ranging from development of facilities through to risk management, insurance and governance.
Significant recent cases
Acting for two large building consultancy firms in separate claims arising from alleged negligent mechanical ventilation design for large multi-dwelling residential and multi-purpose sports centre developments. Defended an architect in a Supreme Court action concerning alleged negligent building design and contract administration failures, centring on alleged building facade failure and involving numerous parties, substantial technical evidence and a lengthy reference hearing. Acting for educational institutions in a series of projects to upgrade or redevelop facilities, including preparation of all contractual documentation for development of a multipurpose hall including 50m swimming pool (project value exceeding $30 million). Comprehensive contract documentation and project advice for projects including large residential developments, aged care facilities and commercial developments such as large office fit-outs and warehousing. Advising a school on management of multiple issues arising with the contractor and architect during major refurbishment works. Acting for a major subcontractor in a Supreme Court action involving a multitude of breach of contract and trade practices claims arising from facilities maintenance contracts let by the NSW Government. Acting for construction industry participants in Security of Payment Act adjudications. Acting for a developer/builder of a substantial residential development with respect to numerous claims made by subcontractors under the Security of Payment Act and dealing with issues arising from the insolvency of a major subcontractor.